Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Into The Water by Paula Hawkins


Into The Water by Paula Hawkins
Published by Riverhead Books
Published on May 2, 2017
Genres: Women's Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Page Count: 400
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardback
πŸ“™πŸ“™πŸ“™

Description: A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged.

Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother's sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from—a place to which she vowed she'd never return.

With the same propulsive writing and acute understanding of human instincts that captivated millions of readers around the world in her explosive debut thriller, The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins delivers an urgent, twisting, deeply satisfying read that hinges on the deceptiveness of emotion and memory, as well as the devastating ways that the past can reach a long arm into the present.

Beware a calm surface—you never know what lies beneath.


Hello.

Have you ever longed for a book to come out that you were counting the days until it was released? You had enjoyed the previous work by the author so much that the prospect of another book filled you with joy? I wanted this book to be good. I longed for it to be good. It had to be good after the author's debut novel, The Girl on The Train took the world over. I read that book at once. I needed for this book to be good. Life is full of disappointments. It is a real shame that this was one. 

You know what they say about setting stuff up to fail? I fear that this may have been the case for a lot of people in regards to this book. I wish that I could praise it from the rooftops but I cannot. There were too many points where my mind completely glazed over because the POV kept jumping back and forth. The plot was predictable. Some of the characters were strong while some of them were just lacking. I found myself frustrated at times because of the flow. 

I am rating this book Three Orange Books because I did not hate it but it left me disappointed. What good is a mystery when you can figure it out almost immediately? I am not rating it lower because the author does a decent job on the backgrounds and locations. You do feel like you are there. She is a promosing author but she is better than this book. I will be waiting to see what she does in her next offering. My recommendation is wavy on this one. 


InkedBookDragon

No comments:

Post a Comment