Saturday, January 6, 2018

Where Am I Now?: True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental Fame By Mara Wilson


Where Am I Now?: True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental Fame by Mara Wilson
Published by Penguin Books
Published on September 13, 2016
Genres:Biographies & Memoirs, Comedians, Actors &Actresses, Essays, Humor
Page Count: 265
Source: Purchased
Format: eBook
πŸ“•πŸ“•πŸ“•πŸ“•

Description: A former child actor best known for her starring roles in Matilda and Mrs. Doubtfire, Mara Wilson has always felt a little young and out of place: as the only kid on a film set full of adults, the first daughter in a house full of boys, a Valley girl in New York and a neurotic in California, and a grown-up the world still remembers as a little girl. Tackling everything from what she learned about sex on the set of Melrose Place, to discovering in adolescence that she was no longer “cute” enough for Hollywood, these essays chart her journey from accidental fame to relative (but happy) obscurity. They also illuminate universal struggles, like navigating love and loss, and figuring out who you are and where you belong. Candid, insightful, moving, and hilarious, Where Am I Now? introduces Mara Wilson as a brilliant new chronicler of the experience that is growing up female.


Hello Readers.

I am sure many of you recognize the little girl on the cover of this book. For years, she was the go-to adorable angelic girl that captivated the world. She appeared in many movies and shows. You may recognize her as the youngest daughter in Mrs. Doubtfire or as the title role in Matilda. That role sealed her into the hearts of many. One of my favorite books as a child had been made into a movie and I was delighted. She was everywhere and then one day, she was gone.

I saw this book and automatically thought, "Matilda!". I had to read it. I had enjoyed Mara's work in many roles but Matilda was my very favorite. She had taken a character that I adored and made her real life and I will forever love her for that. I wanted to know the woman behind Matilda. Sadly, I have never really thought of her as a grown up. The magic of film had caused her to be frozen in time in most minds so we never really thought of her as aging. I sat down to read this a little nervous but exicted.

I was quickly enveloped in her life. She welcomes readers into her world and doesn't hold back. She invites us into some very private moments and I found myself truly moved. There were moments where I laughed. Some moments I cried. At some points, I felt a little guilty because I had never really seen her as a person. I didn't think about how hard it must have been to not only go through puberty but to do it in front of the world.

I am rating this book Four Red Books because it was a very good memoir. She brings us into her world and tells us what it is like to go from an extremely famous child to a not so famous adult. Insightful and well written. Highly recommend.


InkedBookDragon


No comments:

Post a Comment