Tuesday, January 14, 2020

To Read Or Not To Read...


Hello Readers. 

Have you ever been excited about reading a book only to discover that you really could not get into it? You try and try but it just doesn’t pull you in. I don’t experience this as much as one would think but I experience it often. It always makes me sad. Start a book that I was really looking forward to and coming back underwhelmed by the beginning. One must ask an important question. Do I read further or do I stop and place it into my DNF (Did Not Finish) category?

I struggle with this. I often read more in hopes that it gets better. This has made me finish books and just be annoyed.  How much time is enough time to determine that a book is not for me? Life is too short for bad books.

Do I go back later and try the book again or do I just write it off? The reader may be in a different place the next time they attempt it. The struggle is real. I hate not finishing a book but it sometimes has to be done. To be honest, I often try again. I have found some really good books that way. I was a different person the next time I attempted them. It is funny how perspectives change.

My point to all the above rambling is that it is okay to DNF a book that you don’t feel a connection with. It is also okay to approach that book again during a different stage in your life. Some books may be lost causes as far as you are concerned but some may be hidden gems. Either way, I hope you enjoy the journey of finding books that speak to you.

Happy Reading.

InkedBookDragon


Currently reading: Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment