Sunday, July 1, 2018

Something In The Water by Catherine Steadman


Something In The Water by Catherine Steadman
Published by Ballatine Books
Published on June 5, 2018
Genre(s):Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Psychological Thriller
Page Count: 352
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardback
πŸ“™πŸ“™πŸ“™

Book Description: If you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?

Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough, Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the water. . . .

Could the life of your dreams be the stuff of nightmares?

Suddenly the newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt? Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events. . . .

Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave?

Wonder no longer. Catherine Steadman’s enthralling voice shines throughout this spellbinding debut novel. With piercing insight and fascinating twists, Something in the Water challenges the reader to confront the hopes we desperately cling to, the ideals we’re tempted to abandon, and the perfect lies we tell ourselves.


Hello Again!

I am a fan of book clubs. I always have been. I enjoy being able to read a book and automatically having people to discuss it with. I had not heard of this book prior to seeing it on a post about Reese Witherspoon's Book Club. It looked promising and I agreed to "buddy read" it with a friend. Bonding over books is always great. 

The premise of this book caught my attention and I thought it would be a fun read. It started in such a way that I was not quite sure how it was going to proceed. In the very beginning, the author painted herself into a corner. I was intrigued about how she was going to write herself out of it so I continued. In some ways, I am glad that I did. It was interesting to see where the events were going to lead. With that said, too many of plot twists were predictable. Most of the characters were not likeable and greatly frustrating at times. I found myself wanting to shake the main character on more than one occasion. Large holes in story. One is not one hundred percent sure who is actually orchestrating what. 

I am rating this book Three Orange Books because it was a good debut novel. The potential was great but the finished story fell short. Too many loose ends left untied. Reader left wondering when it all truly began. Overall, it was a decent read. I am intrigued as to what the author may do for her next offering. I may recommend to some. 


InkedBookDragon







No comments:

Post a Comment